Monday, November 15, 2010

Change of plans...

Well, maybe not a change of plans.  More like an addition!

I had originally thought I would make "T" a copy of the Holbein's daughter's hemd and sleeveless dress.  Then it occurred to me that the Winter Solstice event is in December and it might be a wee bit chilly.  So, in doing a bit more research on children's clothes I came across the Herjolfsnes finds.  Herjolfsnes 44 is a child's gown with long sleeves and originally made out of wool.

So based on their layout I pattern drafted it out to be sized for almost 2 year old "T" with a bit of growing room as well.  I had some cast off "first garb" blue linen pants that had been given to me and I cut them apart for this project.  I had just enough to piece this dress together.

I got most of it sewed tonight.  I have one sleeve left to attach and then the hemming.  I lined the collar with the oatmeal linen I used as guarding on "M"'s dress.  If I have time I would like to do some simple embroidery at the collar to hold the lining in place.

I also finally settled on who to order my wool flannel from: The Wool Connection.  Once the wool comes in I can start on "E"'s tunic and maybe a few other projects as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment