Friday, December 31, 2010

The Apron - Day 1

I pulled out my white 5 oz weight linen tonight so I could start the cutting for my new apron. Since I will be smocking the top edge of the apron I needed it to be 50-66% wider then I intend the finished piece to be. As I want the finished top to be about 20 inches wide, I chose a starting width of 60 inches. The pleating will gather the beginning width into the much smaller finished width. For the waist to floor length I opted to use a known period loom width of about 32 inches.

To insure that I was cutting straight with the grain, I hand basted a black waste thread along one of the weft threads. I then cut the length I needed a half inch from the basting line.


That is all I got done for tonight... Tomorrow the basting stitches for the smocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment