Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Learning Kumihimo

Tonight was our bi-monthly SCA Canton meeting.  I think the cold weather and closeness to the holidays kept most folks at home as it was just our family and two others that attended the meeting.

I was looking forward to the topic tonight, Kumihimo cord weaving.  I had seen several women making them while at Winter Solstice last week and was curious to learn more about it.  Kumihimo is an ancient Japanese form of braid-making.

Tessa had brought a few CDs that she had cut slots around the edges to hold the strings.  She taught us a basic 2 color, 8 string weaving pattern.  It turns out that the two colors of crochet weight string were not of the same size which made for an interesting pattern on mine.  It was lots of fun to learn and I look forward to finishing my cord.  It will most likely by used as a pouch drawstring someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment