Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Belt Accessory - Keys

I made an eBay purchase today for some reproduction keys to hang off my belt.  You can see keys hanging from the belts of many german women in period artwork.  Keys were often worn visibly on the belt (by both men and women) as they respresented certain rights (or an office) of the wearer. As the head of the household, a wife would own a chain of keys.  Here are just a few examples that fit my persona's timeframe:

A seated woman by Albrecht Durer, 1514.

Melencolia I , Albrecht Durer, 1514.

Couple Seated on a Bed, from Scenes of Daily Life by Israhel van Meckenem.

I felt it would add that touch of authenticity to my garb if I had a set of keys too.  Having a period correct gown is a wonderful thing but it is often the little extra accessories you add to it that make it really special.  The keys I bought aren't perfect but they fit my budget for now.  In the future I may replace them with nicer ones but these will do for the time being.

Above are the reproduction keys I purchased.

Extant 15th Century Keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment