Friday, January 28, 2011

Making a Lucet Cord

As I was busily making a lucet cord while watching TV tonight I was struck by the memory of how challenging a skill it was for me to learn.

As with most things I do, I had no one first hand to teach me. Normally, I don't have much of a problem with reading how something is done and then just jumping in and having a go at it. Usually with good success. Not so with my experience with the lucet.

First, I read the pamphlet that came with my lucet... confusion, followed by a knotted lump of string. I am left-handed so I thought it may have something in my translation so I turned to the Internet for more reading on left-handed instructions. Still no luck.  I just couldn't seem to get the tension right, it was either too loose or so tight I could not pull the threads over the tines of the lucet.  It was after much frustration and many websites that I finally stumbled across this YouTube video that for some reason, in its simplicity, made it all so clear to me.

If you have been struggling with Lucet cord making, don't give up, watch someone in person or on video and the light bulb will eventually go off for you too.

And, yes, I am using the right handed method.  I find it easiest to learn most new skills that my hands do not already have a primary roll in preforming with my right hand (for example I knit right handed but embroider with my left).  It makes it easier for other people to teach me and so I can teach others later on as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hello from Northern Atlantia (Ponte Alto)!

    I do the same thing re: learning right handed - I'm a lefty, and taught myself to crochet right-handed so I wouldn't have to mentally flip patterns, etc.

    I found your blog while looking up info for weaving garters - I was asked yesterday at KASF if I'd make some for the Gulf Wars gift basket exchange.

    ReplyDelete