Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pearl Necklace

I have been wanting to recreate this pearl necklace for some time.  It is simple, feminine and very "me".  It appears to me to be constructed of small pearls double strung in groups of eight separated by a black or dark green bi-cone.  Ten bi-cones can be seen in the portrait and it hangs to the top of her breastbone.

Portrait of a Young Venetian Woman by Albrecht Durer, 1505.

Many years ago, my husband surprised me with a bundle of stranded imitation pearls.  They are quite small, maybe 2-3 mm in diameter.  They have been stowed away in my beading supplies until now.  The bi-cone beads were the hard part... I couldn't seem to find a black glass or stone bi-cone of a size that matched well with the portrait.  I ended up having to settle for a black 7mm bead which was smaller then I wanted.

Stringing them was pretty easy.  I used two strands of nylon beading thread (not period but very strong and will prevent breakage from little toddler hands).  I threaded each strand onto it's own beading needle.  I began by passing both strands through a bi-cone bead.  Then strung four pearls onto each strand and then passed both threads through a bi-cone again.  I repeated this pattern until I felt it was the correct length when held up around my neck.  The final necklace has 29 bi-cone beads strung on it where the one in the portrait has somewhere around 14-16 I would guess.  The ends where tied to a simple pewter hook and eye clasp.

I am fairly pleased with the result.  I wish the black bi-cones were larger, I think it would match the inspiration piece better.  The completed necklace will be counted toward my A&S 50 Persona Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment